I didn't really want to talk much about this topic because I'm not an expert. However, I do want to share with you the main factors that promote losing weight. Your ideal body weight is relative. Everybody's goal weight is different. You shouldn't be influenced by what the media portrays as the ideal body image. The most important thing is to be healthy & comfortable with yourself. I'm sure most women have thought about losing weight for health reasons, to look and to feel good, or to rid themselves of post pregnancy weight. The most effective method to losing weight is to know how it works. It took me a while to grasp this. Losing weight requires TIME, DEDICATION, MOTIVATION, DETERMINATION & PATIENCE. However, how do we maintain that without giving up? Here is the simple answer (drum rolls)......You have to make the decision and stick to it!.... So it's all in your psyche.... Any diet plan will fail if you don't have the determination. That's why people will start a diet and then stop after a month or so because they can't sustain it. Also, "diet" should not be the word that enters your psyche, you should think of it as a lifestyle change. The more you think of it as a diet, the more obsessed you become with food even if you were not obsessed with food before. Our mind plays a big role when it comes to losing weight. Being human, we always want what's prohibited. That's why you shouldn't think of bad food as something that is prohibited, think of it as something that is harmful for your body and you want to be healthy. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy some desert once in a while. The idea is to limit it from your daily food intake. Also, healthy food is always associated with bad taste. That's not how you should think of it. Instead look for tasty healthy recipes. For example, adding spices and herbs can make a big difference. So changing your perception about losing weight plays a big factor.
So How do you reach the point of making the decision and sticking to it?
1. Change your perception and how you think about losing weight. Like I mentioned above.
2. Think of the reasons you want to lose the weight for instead of putting yourself down. Visualize your goal and feel good about it.
3. Always surround yourself with a positive environment and positive people.
4. Reduce your stress by exercising. Believe it or not, exercise reduces stress and gets rid of toxins in your body. Pick a sport that you like and do it regularly. Or you can just walk.
5. Find the source that caused you to gain weight, some people gain weight for emotional reasons. So you have to work on your emotions and your soul searching before even thinking of losing weight. If these issues are deep and will require time, then try to make little changes in your food choices and gradually you will be healing your emotional wounds while losing weight.
6. Eat healthy filling food. For example, protein rich foods satiate hunger. Also, fruits and veggies are full of fiber and water which also satiate hunger.
7. Eat less than what you normally eat. Our stomach is a muscle and it can stretch or contract. So the more you eat, the bigger the stomach becomes. The less you eat, the more the stomach contracts, and gradually the fuller you become with less food.
8. Eat Slowly. Take your time when you eat. Your brain takes about 20 minutes until it lets you know that you are full. So there is no need to eat fast if you don't have to. Just chew and enjoy every bite. Actually chewing also helps in digestion.
9. Drink water. Water is great in flushing toxins out of our system, and hydrating our body. Sometimes we think we are hungry, but actually we might be just thirsty.
10.Do not give in to the negative power of instant gratification : Do your best not to stop at that fast food place when you need a quick fix ( this 1 stop will neutralize all positive efforts for the day and maybe even the following day!! - because of the horrible content in the fast food). Use will power to hold off and instead prepare something healthy and good tasting. It may cost a little more, and it may not taste as good, but this kind of action will cause you to lose weight.
11. Be patient. Don't expect to see the results you want right way. Instead be happy about the little accomplishments you're achieving on a daily basis. And by accomplishments I mean doing what your doing.